The Apothecarist Staff
About the Instructor
The Apothecarist Program is taught by Suchil Coffman, Jocelyn Brown, David House and Heather Skye.
Jocelyn is an herbalist, aromatherapist, and health coach living in the beautiful Texas Hill Country. She spends her time learning, teaching online and in-person classes, wandering and gathering, remodeling her home and gardening. She also heads logistics for clinical teams working in the field and Female Medic outreach trips.
David has a wide variety of skills and interests, which include a range from construction, metalworking, woodworking, photography, cooking, and pretty much anything artsy, craftsy, or tasty. David’s personal mission to be more self-sufficient and recapture ancestral skills led him to The Human Path, where he quickly became a part of the blacksmith and herbal medicine programs.
Heather has over 20 years professional culinary experience and cooking/preparation knowledge in everything from vegan to paleo diets, to planning and preparing large meals for corporate facilities and children’s camps- in environments spanning diners to fine dining establishments, running her own restaurants as well as wilderness campfire and contingency/makeshift situations.
Suchil is the Director for The Human Path as well as Herbal Medics Academy. She brings a diverse background to the Provider program at the school, with a strong history of preserving and canning foods, a love of wildcrafting and a mission to take the school into more sustainable and off-grid directions whenever possible.
WHAT IS THE ADVANCED INTERNAL HERBAL MEDICINE INTENSIVE? This is 24 hours of intensive materials for students to have even greater depth of training in certain specialty areas, followed by a live interaction session with instructors. These are designed for apothecarists that would like to create a product line, specialize in a certain area of herbal preparations, or to set up a home apothecary. The intensive will have advanced materials not covered in the main online 12-week internal course. The Internal Medicine online is recommended before doing the Advanced Internal intensive. * * *
Advanced Internal Herbal Preparations: This is a fun and collaborative course. Students will learn more complex and creative ways of making medicine — creating a bitters tasting bar by percolation method, masceration method and hot alcohol extraction method … working with fat-washing to enhance texture and flavor, creating an avante-garde herbal tea blend, discussing soxlets, spagyrics and whippets … blending herbal ‘candies’, honeyed syrups and cordials … and making an herbal decoction that will be used with a nasal atomizer. In addition, there will be lectures on flavor as a key component in medicine making success, and medicinal ghee preparations.
Who is this for? These online intensives are for anyone who wants advanced herbal medicine-making skills for home or business. Explore potency, flavor, taste, creative passion and clinical expertise to take your medicine-making skills to a brand-new level with exciting techniques and skills. For those of you who have not been able to attend attend our information-packed intensives because of travel or work restrictions, now is the time!
- 1 - Video - Hot Alcohol Extraction Introduction (3:58)
- 2 - Video - Discusssion of Materia Medica (3:08)
- 3 - Video - Materials to begin extraction process with (2:04)
- 4 - Video - Prewetting (2:17)
- 5 - Video - Preparing Percolator (4:53)
- 6 - Video - Hot Alcohol Percolation Part 1 (3:23)
- 7 - Video - Hot Alcohol Percolation 2 (1:13)
- 8 - Video - Adding Brandy to Wine Extraction (3:07)
- 9 - Video - Completion of Hot Alcohol Extraction (2:57)
- Recipe - PDF - Hot Alcohol Extraction
- 1 - Video - How Intranasal Atomization Works
- 2 - Video - Introduction to Materia Medica + Lions Mane
- 3 - Video - Materia Medica - Ashwaganda
- 4 - Video - Materia Medica - Gota Kola
- 5 - Video - Making an isotonic solution
- 6 - Video - Understanding Hypertonic vs Isotonic Solutions
- 7 - Video - Discussing Atomization Options
- 8 - Overview of Decoction Steps
- 9 - Video - Precautions
- Demo 1 - Supplies and Starting the Formulation
- Demo 2 - Straining the atomizer herbs
- Demo 3 - Completion & Administration
- RECIPE PDF: Nasal Atomization Formula