The Apothecarist Staff
About the Instructor
The Apothecarist Program is taught by Suchil Coffman, Jocelyn Brown, David House and Heather Skye.
Jocelyn is an herbalist, aromatherapist, and health coach living in the beautiful Texas Hill Country. She spends her time learning, teaching online and in-person classes, wandering and gathering, remodeling her home and gardening. She also heads logistics for clinical teams working in the field and Female Medic outreach trips.
David has a wide variety of skills and interests, which include a range from construction, metalworking, woodworking, photography, cooking, and pretty much anything artsy, craftsy, or tasty. David’s personal mission to be more self-sufficient and recapture ancestral skills led him to The Human Path, where he quickly became a part of the blacksmith and herbal medicine programs.
Heather has over 20 years professional culinary experience and cooking/preparation knowledge in everything from vegan to paleo diets, to planning and preparing large meals for corporate facilities and children’s camps- in environments spanning diners to fine dining establishments, running her own restaurants as well as wilderness campfire and contingency/makeshift situations.
Suchil is the Director for The Human Path as well as Herbal Medics Academy. She brings a diverse background to the Provider program at the school, with a strong history of preserving and canning foods, a love of wildcrafting and a mission to take the school into more sustainable and off-grid directions whenever possible.
WHAT IS THE GMP FOR MEDICINE MAKERS’ INTENSIVE?
This is 24 hours of online intensive materials for students to have even greater depth of training in certain specialty areas, followed by a live interaction session with instructors. These are designed for apothecarists that would like to create a product line, specialize in a certain area of herbal preparations, or to set up a home apothecary. This intensive will focus on GMP regulations, guidelines and documentation that herbalists need to know. This material is not included in the main online 12-week courses. There is no pre-requisite for this course.
* * *
GMP For Medicine Makers: A critically important part of running an apothecary and making herbal medicine for resale is understanding federal guidelines and how to make sure your business is operating correctly. This intensive will cover all the guidelines for both internal and external products, as well as the paperwork templates you will need for your business and how to set everything up!
Enrolled students will receive a thumb drive with GMP form templates, videos and tutorials on apothecary record-keeping, three binders for setting up a documentation system, as well as template samples and a resource book mailed to them.
We will have two live student study sessions to break down questions and understanding of GMP compliance for (internal) dietary supplement products and (external) cosmetic products.
Topics to be covered include:
- Intake of raw materials into the apothecary
- Correct record-keeping for raw materials, equipment and product containers
- Materials quarantine process
- Documentation for vendor-related issues
- Product recall protocol
- Documentation for the medicine-making process, from start to distribution
- Representative samples and how to organize these
- Documentation of wildcrafted raw materials
- Standard operating procedures in the apothecary
- Organolepsis for the Apothecarist
- The difference between ‘dietary supplements’ and ‘cosmetics’ in GMP
- Distribution processes and tracking of products
- 1 - Video - Raw Materials Intake (11:28)
- 2 - Slideshow - Raw Materials Intake
- 3 - PDF Template - Raw Material Reject or Recall Form
- 4 - PDF Template - Wildcrafted Materials Intake Form
- 5 - Video - Materials Intake and Reject Form (14:46)
- 6 - Slideshow -Materials Intake Form and Reject Form
- 6-PDF Template: Raw Materials Intake Form
- 7 - Video - Raw Materials Intake Process (12:18)
- 8 - Slideshow -The Wildcrafted Apothecary
- 9 - Video - The Wildcrafted Apothecary (21:03)
- 10 - Video - Definitions in the Apothecary (18:11)
- 1-Video - Lot and Batch Numbers (15:28)
- 1-PDF Slideshow - Lot and Batch Numbers
- 2-Video - Representative Samples (16:12)
- 2-PDF Slideshow - Representative Samples
- 2-PDF Template: Representative Sample Log
- 3-Video-Supplier Qualification
- 3-PDF Slideshow: Supplier Qualification
- 3-PDF Template: Supplier Qualification Form
- 4-PDF Template: New Supplier Form
- 5-Video: Signature Logs (1:54)
- 5-PDF Template: Signature Log Form
- 6-Video: BPR & MMR (11:22)
- 6-PDF Slideshow: The BPR & MMR
- 6-PDF Template: The Batch Process Report Form
- 6-PDF Template: The Master Manufactoring Record Form
- 7-Video: Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) (14:03)
- 7-PDF SOP Example Page 1
- 7-PDF SOP Example Page 2
- 1-PDF - Slideshow - Distribution Records
- 2 - Video - Distribution Records (14:19)
- 3 - Video - Customer Complaints and Product Recalls (17:02)
- 4 - PDF Template - Consumer Complaint Form Template
- 5 - PDF - FDA Guidance for Cosmetic Recalls
- 6 - PDF - FDA Recall Procedure
- 7 - PDF - Sample Recall Policy
- 8 - PDF Template - Packing Slip
- 9 - PDF Template - Recall Form
- 10 - PDF Template - Post Production Checklist
- 11 - PDF Template - Distribution Log
- 12 - Video - Trademarking Interview (44:57)
- 13 - Video - Trademarking Lecture #2 (21:09)