About the Instructor
Lisa Ganora began studying traditional Western herbalism in the ‘80s. Later, she lived and wildcrafted in the Appalachians where she studied with folk healers and created herbal products to sell as she travelled the festival circuit with her herb booth. After practicing as a community herbalist for a decade, Lisa retuned to college and graduated from UNCA summa cum laude with multiple awards in biology and chemistry. After graduation she focused on studying pharmacognosy and phytochemistry.
In addition to directing the Colorado School of Clinical Herbalism since 2012 and managing Elderberry’s(a Rocky Mountain herb farm and education center in Paonia, CO), Lisa has also served as Adjunct Professor of Pharmacognosy at the Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine, and has lectured and taught classes at numerous schools and conferences around the U.S. She is the author of Herbal Constituents, a popular textbook on herbal phytochemistry for natural health practitioners, which is used by schools and universities worldwide.
Lisa is available for consulting in medicinal plant chemistry, synergy, and formulation for the herbal and natural products industries.
Survey of the origin, organization, relationships and solubilities of the different categories of phytochemicals. Introduction to the structure, function, and occurrence of the first major category of constituents, the carbohydrates, and their subcategories: organic acids and derivatives, mono-, di-, and oligosaccharides (inulins, etc.), polysaccharides (incl. mucilages, immunomodulating polysaccharides, etc.).
Module 4 Details:
- Biosynthetic origin of herbal constituents
- Nested hierarchy of constituent categories
- Seven major categories of constituents
- Subcategories of the seven major categories
- Solubility of constituents in each subcategory
- General activity of constituents in each subcategory
- Medicinal carbohydrate constituents: structure, function, occurrence
- Small organic acids (e.g., oxalic acid), sugars, inulins/oligosaccharides
- Homo- & heteropolysaccharides: mucilages, gums, pectins
- Immunomodulating polysaccharides in herbs & mushrooms
- Nettles stinger fluid composition / medicine
This three week module includes:
- Two 2-hour recorded webinars with Lisa Ganora
- Two live Q & A sessions with Lisa Ganora
- Six videos (from live classes)
- Two PowerPoint presentations
- One detailed handout on constituent hierarchy & solubility
- Six detailed study guides
- Two quizzes
- Two assignments
- Access to live Office Hours & Discussion Forum
- Organization & Hierarchy of Constituents; Medicinal Carbohydrates: COURSE STEP 1
- Live Class Schedule / Links
- Organization & Hierarchy of Constituents; Medicinal Carbohydrates: STEP 2
- Organization & Hierarchy of Constituents; Medicinal Carbohydrates- Live Class Links
- Full Phytochemistry Module Dates for 2020 and 2021
- Additional Resources