Lead Instructor, Woman in the Woods
About the Instructor
Jen-Osha has over 20 years of experience as outdoor educator and activist, living in the mountains of West Virginia. She is the Director and Co-founder of the Mountain Stewardship and Outdoor Leadership School, a sister school of the Human Path. At Mtn SOL, she is the lead instructor for the Medic path and co-instructor for the Scout and Herbalist Programs. She is certified as a Wilderness Herbal First Responder, instructor for Wilderness First Aid and helps lead the West Virginia Chapter of Herbal Medics.
She gratefully learned her woods skills from the wise women of Appalachia and her homesteading experience as a mother in West Virginia.
Woman in the Woods – Prepared, Not Primitive: Outdoor Skills to Thrive!
‘The Woman in the Woods’ is a series of 3-week online courses designed to empower all genders and ages over 16 to spend time outdoors and in nature with confidence and enthusiasm. In this second module of the Woman in the Woods series, Outdoor Educator Jen-Osha will share some introductory ways to incorporate “primitive” skills into being prepared for life. Within the larger series, the focus of this module is to give you practical skills to care for your body in the outdoors and increase your confidence in yourself and your personal connection to the living world.
Students will touch on these topics:
- Staying warm with your clothing choice
- Starting a basic fire and creating a fire kit
- Staying hydrated with clean water
- Nourishment for your trip and some basic wild edibles
- Discussion of different options for shelter
- Essential knots for tarp shelters
- How to camp like the students at Mountain SOL*! With guest instructors!
As we move through the course, you will build your survival bag with the essential tools you will need. You will be asked to take pictures of weekly projects to share with Jen-Osha and/or the class if comfortable. The final project for this class will be to create and use your survival pack to set up a basic fire and campsite!
The goal of this series is to nurture your connection to the natural world as a source of strength that empowers you in whatever situation you find yourself in – mom life, single life, married life, pandemic life – at this moment. Jen-Osha is an experienced and passionate educator who looks forward to growing and learning right along with you!
- VIDEO 2.1A - Welcome to Module 2 (4:19)
- VIDEO 2.1B - Week 1 Syllabus (1:40)
- VIDEO 2.1C - Dressing for Warmth (10:00)
- Video 2.1D - Choosing Base Layers (9:29)
- VIDEO 2.1E - External Clothing Layers (17:26)
- Before you move on to fire ....
- Knife Safety Tutorial: Part 1 (7:59)
- Knife Safety Tutorial: Part 2 (6:43)
- VIDEO 2..1F - Quick Fire Skills (16:22)
- VIDEO 2.1G - Ending thoughts on Lesson 1 (1:41)
- VIDEO 2.3A - This Week's Overview (2:54)
- VIDEO 2.3B - Water (4:29)
- VIDEO 2.3C - Finding and Boiling Water (15:34)
- VIDEO 2.3D - Water Adventures (11:57)
- VIDEO 2.3E PART 1 - Thinking through Water Options (8:10)
- VIDEO 2.3E PART 2 - Thinking through Options for Water (10:30)
- VIDEO 2.3F - Your Survival Bag or Box (9:17)
- VIDEO 2.3G - Conclusion (3:02)
- VIDEO 2.4A - Wild Edibles (13:16)
- Video 2.4B - Food & Provisions Part 1 - Introduction (1:49)
- Video 2.4C - Food and Provisions Part 2 - Quantity (2:20)
- Video 2.4D - Food and Provisions Part 3 - Mobility
- Video 2.4E - Food and Provisions Part 4 - Shelf Stability (3:28)
- Video 2.4F - Food and Provisions Part 5 - The Right Kind of Food (6:40)
- Video 2.4G - Food and Provisions Part 6 - Into the Field (2:54)
- VIDEO 2.4H - Food and Morale (16:21)
- VIDEO 2.EI - Stabilizing Food in the Field (9:05)
- VIDEO 2.4J - Preserving Field Food in Advance (14:26)
- VIDEO 2.4K - Travel Food Essentials (13:08)
- VIDEO 2.4L - The Contents of a Food Go Bag (11:11)
- VIDEO 2.5A - Week 3 Overview
- VIDEO 2.5B - Get started with a bowline knot
- VIDEO 2.5C - On a tension 4 knot
- VIDEO 2.5D - Taut Line HItch
- VIDEO 2.5E - Early morning tracking adventure
- VIDEO 2.5F - Perspecitve on Failing
- VIDEO 2.5G - Two easy tarp shelters Part 1
- VIDEO 2.5G - Two easy tarp shelters Part 2
- VIDEO 2.5H - Conclusion
- VIDEO 2.6A - Overview and New Knot (4:09)
- VIDEO 2.6B - Tarp Lessons & A Coyote Surprise (4:20)
- VIDEO 2.6C - Putting up our flying A Frame (14:12)
- VIDEO 2.6D - Lessons From Bella and Katie (7:34)
- VIDEO 2.6E - Other Tarp Structures (9:39)
- VIDEO 2.6F - Adventures to practice and prepare for (3:08)
- VIDEO 2.6G - Final Thoughts and wrap up (9:13)
- VIDEO 2.6H - Hope and Gratitude (5:22)